Thursday 12 January 2012

Redundancy

Hubbie was made redundant on Monday, we were expecting it and he's ok with it but I'm not. I'm not sure what to make of it all. Yes he's getting a redundancy package from his employers and yes the Citizen's Advice have given him some brilliant advice about what to do now, especially as I only work 16 hours a week so they've given Hubbie a list of everyone we both need to notify about the change in our circumstances and all of that but despite everything being very straightforward at the moment I'm still very overwhelmed by it all.

I suppose if we didn't have our twins I wouldn't be feeling like this but I'm scared we might not be able to provide for them as we have been doing, I don't want to have to rely on a higher rate of child tax credits or working tax credits and Hubbie's job seekers allowance to get us through each month, I don't want to have to rely more on family members even though they'll all be willing to help out it's just something that completely goes against the grain for me.

Do I blame my upbringing for my feelings or is it something I've decided upon as I went out into the world of work and becoming independent?

Neither of my Parents have ever relied on anything other than their wages, they never received any benefits etc and only got the usual child allowance for the three of us and despite the fact my Father is classed as disabled because of his diabetes this was something he never claimed on until he was told he had to. When you're raised in a family who never had to rely on government support it's hard to accept that you yourself may have to to keep your family going.

No comments:

Post a Comment